- Brad Keselowski passed Denny Hamlin at the entrance to Turn 3 with two laps to go to win the Big Machine Vodka 400 At The Brickyard Monday afternoon at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The win was the first NASCAR Cup series victory for car owner Roger Penske at the 2.5-mile speedway and the 499th overall for Team Penske. It also moved Keselowski to just one win from tying Mark Donohue for most all-time wins by a Team Penske driver.
- A nifty pit call by crew chief Paul Wolfe put Keselowski in position to win the race. At Wolfe’s direction, Keselowski was the final car to pit during a cycle of green flag stops. He took the lead on lap 136 and stayed there before pitting on lap 143. Moments after Keselowski pulled down pit road, the ninth caution flag waved, allowing Keselowski – armed with fresher tires – to restart seventh when the race went green on lap 148.
- The driver of the Discount Tire Ford Fusion wasted no time working his way to the front. He stormed through traffic and was up to third-place when the tenth and final yellow flag slowed the pace on lap 155. Keselowski lined up third for the final restart on lap 157. Race leader Hamlin and Keselowski scampered away on the restart. Keselowski darted to the inside of Hamlin at the entrance to Turn 3. The two nearly made contact, but Keselowski had position on Hamlin at the entrance to the corner. He cleared Hamlin between Turns 3 and 4 and led the final two laps, officially crossing the finish line .904 seconds ahead of Hamlin.
- The victory was the 26th for Keselowski in 331 MENCS races. He scored his first victory in nine starts at Indianapolis. It was the first win at Indy for Ford since Dale Jarrett’s win in 1999.
- After Monday’s win, Keselowski has now reeled off three NASCAR national series victories in the last nine days, including last weekend’s sweep at Darlington Raceway.
“My crew chief Paul Wolfe made a heck of a call there to pit late in that run. We had new tires for that restart. Our Discount Tire Ford wasn’t dominate by any means but Paul and everyone on the team executed an incredible race. They never gave up on it and made the most of the strategy. I just had to do my job and here I am in victory lane at the Brickyard. To give Roger Penske his first Cup win here at the Brickyard is just an incredible feeling. This the first win for Discount Tire in the Cup Series which is great. That is something I am so proud of.”
SEPTEMBER 10, 2018 . INDIANAPOLIS MOTOR SPEEDWAY
CAR: NO. 2 DISCOUNT TIRE FORD FUSION
Leave A Comment