- Brad Keselowski had earned two-straight top-10 finishes coming into this weekend at Sonoma Raceway and hoped to be on his way to another, qualifying a solid 10thfor Sunday’s 110-lap event at the 11-turn road course.
- During the first 25-lap stage, Keselowski’s No. 2 Discount Tire Ford Fusion looked to be strong, as he methodically picked his way through the field. Keselowski was able to climb all the way up to second-place as Stage 1 came to a close, which allowed him to pick up nine valuable stage points.
- Several drivers made pit stops just before the end of Stage 1, which kept them in front of the drivers who stopped during the stage break, including Keselowski. Because of this, he restarted the Discount Tire machine in the 14th position as the race resumed. Once again, during the second stage, Keselowski was able to drive from 14th up to fourth to pick up more stage points.
- Unfortunately, as the track continued to tighten up, so did the Discount Tire Ford Fusion. Climbing through the field during the remaining 60 laps was not as easy for Keselowski, who continued to complain of a tight racecar that wouldn’t turn in the corners.
- After coming out of the pits in the 21st position following his final pit stop on lap 82, Keselowski was able to drive up to 13th, where he would finish out the day. The 13th-place effort kept him in the fourth position in the NASCAR Cup Series point standings.
“We started out the race strong with the No. 2 Discount Tire Ford Fusion. We did what we wanted to do and score some stage points in the first two stages. But I made a couple of mistakes out there and used up my tires and it just hurt our chances for a better finish. This will be a learning experience for all of us.”